Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Secret Service carries coffee, not guns

At least that's how this story turns out. That doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to protect me, if the agents don't carry their issued firearm while off duty.

Something else that strikes me as odd:
Scott Michael Bleutge, 44, of Serenity Lane in Stafford was charged with robbery, malicious wounding, wearing a mask in public and driving while intoxicated.
I've seen this charge before, and I have to say that I don't understand how it's illegal. It sounds like a BS charge to tack onto the serious offenses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it started as an anti-Klan measure.

Anonymous said...

Got it in one, t.c.k. The law is actually against appearing in public with your face concealed. Klansmen, "Night Riders", posses, et cetera just loved the anonymity of a mask, or just a sheet with eyeholes. The law was a Reconstruction-era measure intended to force them to show themselvesm so their prospective victims could identify them in court if the opportunity arose. If you've ever seen a newsclip of Klansmen marching with their white peaky hoods on but their faces exposed, this is why.

As an unintended consequence, there are serious limits on how deeply you can cosplay at F&SF cons in my home state (North Carolina): that Imperial Stormtrooper mask is just as much covered by this law as a Klan hood is, and I have actually seen a member of Greensboro's Finest 'advising' a Vader to take that mask off...

--DaveP.

Unknown said...

And knowing is half the battle. I guess the law helps with scumbag store robbers in ski masks as well. Since he was caught in Stafford county he can expect to stay locked up for a long time.

Thanks for the info!