Tuesday, March 30, 2010

NYC cops keep and bear arms

Reading this article, and the comments specifically, makes one wonder about the status of our country.

There are those who are happy to see cops with rifles on their train while heading into work, and there are those who vehemently oppose it. Being a realist, I have to see it both ways.

While I think it's a bit excessive, even in light of what just happened in Moscow, I wouldn't have a bit of problem sharing air with heavily armed cops on a train: that is, as long as they don't have a problem with me riding next to them with my loaded rifle. In NYC, that's just not the case, and the city should be ashamed for it.

To tell you the truth, I don't have any idea what the reaction would be here in VA if went to buy groceries with a loaded AR15 on my back. It's not prohibited by law. I suppose that some people would freak out, and I would expect prompt scrutiny from law enforcement, and they may even arrest me regardless. A quick lawsuit would probably follow.

Just the same, if state, local, and federal keepers of peace can wander about armed and armored, then they shouldn't have issue with me doing the same.

No comments: