Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Magnitudes of violence

I have to take this article with a grain of salt, as it is an interview from a single hidden source named "Juan" conducted by media types known for telling tall tales. If it is true, and really there's not much reason to think otherwise, than violence in Mexico is way worse than I thought.
In one of the most chilling revelations yet about the violence in Mexico, a drug cartel-connected trafficker claims fellow gangsters have kidnapped highway bus passengers and forced them into gladiatorlike fights to groom fresh assassins.
For all I knew, the cartels were only out to kill each other, and any government employees who interfered in the slaughter. I fail to see the problem in violent groups killing each other off, unless they are hurting innocent people. Mentally putting myself on a bus in Mexico, unarmed, and getting stopped by these crazies so that they can make a sport of me fighting others to the death has me a bit disconcerted though, as without a means of resistance I would be helpless. I can not adequately imagine that scenario despite my mind's capable abilities, and I suppose that's a good thing.

Comparing Mexico's violence with the US, I can see that they have taken it to a level that we will hopefully never go. We complain when a federal ABC agency shoots up a citizen in his recliner or a half dozen girls are found murdered in a swamp, and rightly so, but it still does not compare to finding 200 beheaded corpses buried in a shallow grave behind the grocery store every other weekend or full scale firefights between fifty men at the mall. I hope those things do not become commonplace here in America.

No comments: