Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A parent's worst fear

A Springfield, Va., man was arrested Sunday after he allegedly carjacked a woman’s vehicle with three 5-year-old children in the back seat.
I would never surrender my vehicle with my kids in it. That man would have to have killed me instantly dead, because if he didn't, I would do everything in my power to stop him, even if that meant gnawing at his ankles while I bled out on the pavement.

When I am out in public, I am aware of my surroundings at all times; even more so when I'm with the family. That doesn't mean that I reach for my waistband every time some dude gets close while I'm loading groceries, but I am aware of everyone that walks into my visual zone. I look at their eyes, and I watch their hands. Some may think that I'm over wrought with paranoia, but I just think that being cautious is smart.

Life favors the prepared. Just because society is advanced does not mean that there has been some sort of suspension of Natural Law. Keep your eyes open for advancing predators, and maybe you won't have to shoot one, or worse, have one drive off in your Sequoia with your toddlers in it.

No comments: