Saturday, May 31, 2008

Whew! What a week

Sorry for the light blogging. My work load has increased five fold, and it is about to get much worse. I will be traveling a lot soon, which I anticipate will give me plenty of blogging time as much of the day-to-day things that I normally do will be far away. I also have some great books to get into, such as:

The Gun Digest Book of the 1911 Volume 1 - Patrick Sweeney
The Book of the AR-15 Volume 2 - Patrick Sweeney (I already read Vol 1; excellent!)
Moment of Truth in Iraq - Michael Yon

I also have some others. I don't think I will get through all of them in the next week or so, but certainly within the next few months. I have always been a very fast reader, to the point where I had difficulty in school because I was always so far ahead. These days it takes me a year or more to read a book because I have no time.

I have been spending some time in good ol' "Gun Free" DC, and I am reminded of why I do not belong there. I grew up with miles of trees and fields around me, so venturing through a city full of intricate people makes me feel like a fish out of water. I could never live there, and I'm so thankful to cross the river and get back into Virginia where I get my rights back. The main problem that I have is that I'm used to driving directly to a location and parking my car, which is not easy in DC if you are unfamiliar with where the parking garages are. Last week I paid what I believe to be a drug dealer to watch my car. I didn't have a choice. If you don't pay attention to where you're going, you can easily end up in a bad area where you may never return.

Talking with other folks who grew up in Bumkinville, Virginia, I came to the conclusion that people from DC who may end up down here can end up in the same predicament. Driving down the wrong road down here can lead you into places where you would swear Deliverance was filmed.

I recall a night during my teenage years where a bunch of us were hanging out at a local McDonalds on the side of the highway. A Cadillac with DC plates and three nefarious looking individuals pulled up, obviously drunk, and while one of them was finishing up his beer while pissing into traffic, the other was asking us if we knew where to score some drugs. A friend of mine with a fast car said "follow me." My friend led them about an hour out into the depths of the county where only those who have lived there for years dare to go, and then stopped cold in the road. As the three were looking around trying to figure out where they were, my friend dropped it into first and took off in a hail of tire smoke, leaving the old Cadillac in the dust.

That's probably the last time they drove down south.

I am planning some more shooting tests soon which I will document with pictures. I plan on using my shiny new Chrony to get some accurate velocities. Hopefully I will get the time this weekend to chrony my handgun loads.

Stay tuned

No comments: