Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A good response

I received this in a VCDL Alert:

Nicely written statement on why many carry a gun, by a VCDL member named Steve. He is reacting to the item in last week's VA-Alert where the Lynchburg News Advance said "Holstered Guns Still Wrong in Restaurants" <http://tinyurl.com/47ya99>.

Steve writes:
--
"Do you know what gets me about things like this? Our side can't seem to articulate why we carry in the first place. There is a line in this editorial that illustrates this. They think we carry because we fear criminal activity.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I tell my friends this all the time. The reason I carry is not because I think there will be a need to use it. If I ever think there is a realistic chance that I'll need a gun, I would leave that place. If there was no choice, I certainly wouldn't bring a handgun. I would bring a rifle and friends with more rifles. A handgun is carried at every moment I don't think I'll need a gun, just in case I am wrong. Violence and criminal activity is unpredictable and comes when you don't expect it. That's why I carry a gun. If I could predict when it would be "needed", I would only carry a handgun to back-up my rifle.

Why can't we get this through to them!"



Well put!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a story I read on a blog not too long ago...unfortunately, I can't remember who's blog...maybe Lawdog?

Anyway, It was about a Sheriff at a formal occasion with his "Church Gun" being asked by an attendee "you expecting trouble?"

"No," the Sheriff replied, "If I was expecting trouble, I'd have brought my rifle."

Unknown said...

I have run across that line somewhere too. It's a good one.

I totally agree with this guy.