Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This mentality has to stop

I'm going to step into the line of fire regarding the healthcare debate by opining about this:
"There is just something absurd about denying an infant."
What's absurd is expecting someone else to pay for your child's care. That's what he is saying. The evil health insurance company denied taking his claim because they saw a risk. Even if they didn't see a risk, who the hell is this guy to expect a service from anyone? Does he have a right to demand coverage from a private company, or does a private company have the right to deny anyone for anything?

Don't get me wrong, I think all insurance companies are scumbags, but you can't fault them for not providing you a voluntary service when they don't think they will get something of equal or greater value. That's not them being greedy; that's pure and simple commerce.

You want something from them, but they don't think they have anything to gain by giving it to you.

When I was a teenager, I drove my car recklessly, racking up ticket after ticket, so insurance companies didn't think my $300 monthly contribution was worth the risk of insuring my reckless ass. Why would they?

I hold no allegiance to insurance companies, and as such I am always shopping for a better deal. Equal or greater value. To think that insurance companies are evil because they are doing the same thing is exactly what's absurd.

This give-me mentality has to stop.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Hi there.

Sorry for commenting this on a post that is not directly related... but it's just to say two things:

1 - I just enjoy your "Movie Guns" posts, they are great!

2 - I would also like to ask if you think it is possible that one day we may see some "Game Guns XIV - Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter"? Reading the same "analysis" you have been doing with movies but this time around with some video games, documentaries and/or comics (within the limits of the obvious differences)?

I do not intend to offend you in any way, or sound supperficial, or, somehow, even imposing such a task but is just that such technical knowledge is impressive and it would be cool to see that same standards applied to other media. Like what real weapons do we see in Farcry2, America's Army, Rainbow Six, etc.. and are they used correctly?

Just askin'.. =)


PS: Sorry for my english - It is not my native language (I'm from Europe)