Thursday, September 17, 2009

Another 308 problem

Soon I'll test and see if the gas block problem is solved, but this post is about the bullet setback that I had talked about. Last night I tried to chamber some factory ammo so that I could take some measurements of the before and after. The I've written a post on it at Practical Riflery Forums, but I'll post it here:
As far as the factory loads, I measured three of them before loading them in the magazine to see if the depth is affected by chambering the rounds. I dropped the bolt on the first one and here is what I got:




The factory 150 grain Remington Cor-Lokt is stuck on the feed ramp. I realize that I'm getting off topic, and I intend to shoot these rounds this weekend and post a range report, but for right now what in the world do I do about this? I've already polished the feedramps; should I wallow them out with a Dremel and bring them down to where they will feed from the magazine? This is not at all what I expected from a Fulton Armory barrel.


What do y'all think? Should I take a Dremel to my barrel extension?

2 comments:

DaveP. said...

SWAG: have you tried changing magazines? That'd be my first bet.

My second thought is to call the manufacturer and see if they have any good suggestions.

I'd exercise considerable thought and get mucho professional advice before Dremeling my brand-new upper, though... see, Wile E. Coyote may be a much admired dude, but Warner Brothers pays for his tools and equipment; the rest of us have to shell out retail.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure I have the problem solved with a magazine modification. I've been under the weather lately, but I'l get some pics up soon.