Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Maybe we should start locking up clueless news anchors

Here's a fun little piece from Lisa Bloom, In Session anchor at CNN.

And here's an idea of what she thinks about firearms for youths:
Are we out of our minds? I have long been saddened, as I interview one grieving family after another, that we lack the political will to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people, and even children, but now we’re making special kiddie guns?
I hate to break this to you, but youth sized firearms have been around for quite awhile. Actually, up until 1968, youths could mail order guns straight to their homes, and blood didn't run in the streets because of a lack of laws. The problems today are a parenting problem.
Pennsylvania, my beloved home state, has the shame of having the highest number of juveniles in the nation serving life without parole sentences. And now they want to lock up another kid and throw away the key.
Uhm, yeah. I'm not under the impression that a person realizes right from wrong on their 18th birthday; like on that very day they have some great epiphany. If a couple of 16 year old kids brutally murder a family, then they don't deserve to see the light of day again. I wouldn't want them walking around in the mall in my town.

But let me get this straight. You're saying that instead of locking up, say, violent teenage gangbangers that have zero problem obtaining a firearm from one of their fellow crackhead friends, the millions of non homicidal folks in this country should make the firearms that we have to defend ourselves from said violent teens useless by locking them up? Is that about right? Have you given any thought whatsoever about the unintended consequenses of that?

You don't need to tell me, I already know the answer.

No comments: