Thursday, September 23, 2010

Why we have the death penalty

Connecticut's medical examiner, Wayne Carver, described a painful and panic-stricken smoke inhalation death likely suffered by Michaela. He said her death likely took several minutes, as soot in her lungs and air passages showed she breathed smoke after the men set fire to her home.
This article gets much, much worse. I have tears welling up in my eyes.

I will help point out some of the problems of why the family was raped and burned alive in Connecticut. Here's one:
Buglione testified that he interviewed Hayes the day of the crime and that an emotionless Hayes, who smelled of gasoline, told him in detail what happened at the home in Cheshire, an affluent community in suburban New Haven. He testified Hayes, a paroled burglar, said he was financially desperate at the time.
That's one. But another:
The detective said Hayes and his co-defendant, Joshua Komisarjevsky, who had met 18 months prior at a halfway house where they had attended alcohol and drug abuse meetings, hatched a plan to rob a home.
Two young cons out on parole, courtesy of a lenient justice system, slaughter the better part of a family while joyriding.

Sorry Lord, but I could not forgive these men if I were that father. If these monsters had done this to my family, their debt to me would be paid with nothing less then their life.

3 comments:

Nancy R. said...

I've got a nephew with his wife and three kids in Cheshire. I'm sure they have a security system, but I'm also sure they don't have any firearms in the house.

Just ... damn.

Unknown said...

Any early warning system - like a yappy dog - may have been all it would have taken to prevent those murders. The two scumbags were unarmed.

TCK said...

Well, legend says that as Texas soldiers were shooting up fleeing Mexicans at (after?) the Battle of San Jacinto,one of the commanders tried to get his unit to stop, and was met with "If Jesus Christ himself descended from Heaven and told me to stop shooting Santanists, I wouldn't sir." Maybe we need a modern analogue.