Wednesday, May 11, 2011

All the cool kids are doing it

Nancy at Excels at Nothing is enjoying the comforts of open carrying (OC) a firearm while out in public. To her surprise, the local SWAT team didn't show up, and the gun didn't crawl into her ear and lay eggs in her head causing her to go berserk and make the streets awash in blood.

Here in the Old Dominion, South of Fairfax of course, the carrying of your gun openly will pretty much get you no attention whatsoever. Everyone is used to seeing it to the point where it's no big deal. I used to OC all the time, but not so much anymore with the growing popularity of pocket carry. I mean, even if I strapped the Kel-Tec on my belt for the world to see, who's going to notice that little thing?

Aside from the usual politics and arguments of whether OC or concealed carry gives you an advantage comes the understanding that OC gets the nod for being more comfortable. You don't have to modify your wardrobe to conceal your piece, and that is significant as far as I'm concerned. Belt holsters that are not made to squish your all steel firearm tightly against your skin will feel much better at the end of the day. Trust me. And to those I know who carry in a shoulder rig, they report to me that that's the most comfortable way for all day carry, and also note that it's way more convenient to take on or off than a belt holster. Utility is a wonderful thing.

3 comments:

Nancy R. said...

A shoulder rig means you don't have to figure out what to do with your gun when you need to use the restroom. When you're already juggling a purse and a kid, that's a win right there ...

Unknown said...

You know, I never thought of that! Good point! It's not very good idea to forget a pistol laying on top of the toilet at Denny's. . .

Nancy R. said...

On the down side, it's bloody HEAVY as I have to carry a lot of lead on the other side to balance things out. But on the up side, I have a lot of lead on the other side if I need it.