Friday, October 14, 2011

Now you tell me

Back in June I posted a range report where the 230 grain Winchester Ranger-T +Ps were way too hot for my 1911, and I had an unpleasant shooting session over 70 rounds where I ended up with a sore hand and lots of jams. Well, it turns out that my bitching was warranted, as I came across this thread today from 2009 detailing stoppages and premature wear from the RA45TP in duty weapons; mostly 1911s. To be fair, the commentors with 1911s report that the 230 grain HST +P ammo is too hot as well, which just reinforces my belief that +P ammo in .45 ACP in a 1911 is not needed. Hmmmff!

2 comments:

Drew said...

is this just a 1911 issue or an overall "don't beat your .45 to shit with +P ammo" kinda curious as my next purchase will most likely be some sort of .45, not sure which kind yet. thinking something springfield mil spec.

Unknown said...

In my experience, +P ammo is harsh on the 1911 platform, but I've heard otherwise on the plastic fantastic guns. 230 grain Remington Golden Sabers expand just fine at 850 fps, so I don't see why there's a need for a 1,000+ fps bullet for the .45 ACP. The 1911 was specifically designed for the 230 grain bullet at 850 fps, and it's the most shootable using those loads.

I can punch hole on top of hole with boring repeatability all the way out to 100 yards with my Kimber using my home made, shitty wheel weight cast 230 grain lead round nose bullets clocking 840 fps. When I went to the +P Ranger Ts, it was like shooting a .454 Casull. I was struggling to keep a pair of shots on a pie plate at 15 yards.

With the right ammo, there is no handgun more shootable than the 1911. Mine runs like a sowing machine with the Golden Sabers, and the only reason I don't carry it right now is because I'm doing the appendix carry thing with the Glock.