Tuesday, April 13, 2010

OOOh-ooooh that smell. . . .

Last week, I noticed a whiffy emanation in my truck that my senses told me was originating from the back seat somewhere. My first thought was that the higher temperature outside was agitating the fabric on one of the carseats, which at several points in time last year captured barfed material from the kids; those of you with rugrats know exactly what I'm talking about.

I removed the seat at once, but the smell did not go away.

Several days later, I detected the smell coming from the floor of the rear driver's side, and upon further investigation I discovered a rogue, unsecured sippy-cup leaking weapons grade, homogenized bovine lactates, the potency of which increased three-fold with every degree above 90F.

Sippy-cups pose a unique problem for parents: you issue full cups to your children several times a day, and when they go missing you have to track them down lest the contents spoil. The last thing in the world that you want to see is one of your kids sucking from a cup of partially hardened milk that they dug out from behind the couch.

In my house, when a sippy-cup of milk goes unaccounted for we go to DEFCON 12.

2 comments:

David said...

AAAAHAHA!

Man, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

I hate those things, particularly in the car. Few years back my son launched one out the window on the interstate. I've opened my fair share thinking it was semi-fresh only to find it was more like lumpy white jello that peeled skin from my face.

Unknown said...

"Few years back my son launched one out the window on the interstate."

Dude, that was my morning laugh right there! Thank you!