Saturday, April 26, 2008

Book meme

I was tagged by Mike W.

Here are the rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
2. Find page 123.
3. Find the first five sentences.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

I am sitting here watching Little Bill on the Noggin channel with my daughter while checking things out on my laptop. The book that I have handy is one that I have been reading for over a year (having a new child has cut into my reading time).

The name of the book is Chemical and Biological Warfare: A Comprehensive Survey for the Concerned Citizen by Eric Croddy. This is light reading for me, and before anyone thinks that I'm a nutjob; let it be known that this subject matter pertains to my career choice, and I am on the side of protection, detection, and deterence.

I'll be watching for the black helicopters...

The passage from page 123 is not one of the more intriguing parts of the book:
In both World War II and later during the Malaysian "Emergency" of the 1950's, herbicides were developed for dual roles: to deny the enemy cover from foliage and to destroy crops being utilized by enemy forces. Agent Orange and other herbicides were used in a similar fashion throughout the Vietnam war. Much of the work in defoliants actually started under the aegis of the US biological warfare (BW) program, for although these chemical compounds and their development were still considered part of the overall CW arsenal, the BW organization was chosen to carry out herbicide research "as a matter of scientific economy."

I had to adjust a little bit because of some bulletized stuff, but that's it in a nutshell.

I am going to tag The Pawnbroker because I am curious as to what type of book he has close by, but I'm going to refrain from passing it on further.

Now, I have gunshow to prepare for.

1 comment:

the pawnbroker said...

yikes, dude, that "light reading" of yours is some scary, prophetic shit...but necessary in your honorable (thank you!) line of work.

my response to the meme is here:

http://poetnthepawnbroker.blogspot.com/2008/04/belated-tag.html

for a rest from work-related reading, do check out the book i mention...

btw, you just can't beat little bill on noggin for your baby's growth of soul...it's one of my grandkids favorites (my wife even leaves it on for her freakin' dog when we leave the house!)...watch out for some of that other crap on "kid's tv" though...talk about scary shit...hope you have a fun gunshow!...jtc