Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The death of the National Park Carry?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama's new administration ordered all federal agencies and departments on Tuesday to stop any pending regulations until they can be reviewed by incoming staff, halting last-minute Bush orders in their tracks.
****
Controversial late rules by the outgoing Bush administration include allowing the carrying of concealed weapons in some national parks and prohibiting medical facilities from receiving federal money for discriminating against doctors and nurses who refuse to assist with abortions or dispense contraceptives based on religious grounds.

Time will tell, but I figured this was going to be an issue the moment I heard that the National Park Carry bill was passed, or is it irreversible?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what they mean by "pending". The National Parks rule change went into effect the beginning of January. It's not "pending", it's in force.

I'm sure that's one that President Obama will want to change, but I'm not sure if it can be considered "pending" and be "stopped". As far as I know, he'd have to change the rule by executive order...if he can even legally do that.

I'm not sure that National Parks is under the Executive Branch. I think it's under Legislative...but I don't really know.

Anyway, it should be interesting if nothing else.

Unknown said...

That's what I'm thinking as well. Maybe the Reuters reporter is just getting his hopes up.

Mike W. said...

Reuters is wrong. (big surprise...) The National Parks Bill passed and is the law. The order Obama signed only applied to Bush's pending regulations.