Before you say it, when a lefty gets into office it is always followed by a decline in the military. My mother-in-law told me yesterday that the world is happy with our decision, and my response was that that's not a good thing considering most of the world hates us, and can't wait to blow through the straw man that is to be our leader.
I believe we will see the following:
1. Immediate reduction of 4 brigades in Iraq. 2 will be pulled back to 'staging' in Kuwait, and likely the other 2 sent to Afghanistan. On the Pakistan border.
2. Immediate cuts in bonuses and benefits for those that re-up.
3. Immediate cuts in recruitment funding.
4. Drastic cuts in defense spending on equipment. Bring what yas got, 'cause ya aint's gettin' no mo'.
5. Immediate reduction of senior enlisted and officer ranks. This will have two effects: one, senior experienced leadership will drastically lack; and two, those oxygen thieves that DO stick around will become the leaders. Gawd help us. (Caveat: if the economy tanks WORSE, they'll stick around until it gets better. When and if it DOES improve, the exodus will be even WORSE).
For what it's worth, I believe spending on DoD programs to be the first to go. Expanding the US Army and Marine Corps will do nothing if they're not equipped. Waving a magic wand and enlisting 27,000 Marines and 65,000 Soldiers sounds great, but when you consider the staggering cost of such an endeavor, not counting the enlistment incentives which will certainly be rescinded, one would have to wonder why anyone would suggest it in the first place.
I don't think our new administration has the know-how to get the job done in Iraq or Afghanistan, but I hope I'm wrong. I'm just glad I'm on my way out!