- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings and don’t wear earphones.
- Walk, run, hike and bike with a partner or group.
- Let someone know when you are on the trail and when you expect to come home.
- Don’t use paths or trails when it is dark out.
- Carry a cell phone.
- Carry a .357 Magnum handgun loaded with poison-laced teflon-tipped bullets made of lead and adamantium.
Weirdos who like to show their satchel to random joggers don't seem to me like they fear spandex clad trail wanderers with cell phones. However, broadcast a story over national news about how a trail lurking pervert got a little too hands on with a running lady and ended up with a sucking forehead wound and I bet you that they might think twice about showing their wares in public.