Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My first love

Well before I had guns, there were knives; and they are my first love.

If I had the money to buy a new knife every day it wouldn't be enough. Like any utilitarian, I see the use in every tool that I encounter, and knives are no exception. I want them all.

I always carry a knife of some sort wherever I go, as they are the tool that separates us from the animals. To the squeamish people who are intimidated by the sight of a fine knife: I feel sorry for you.

There is a glorious feeling that one gets when using your over sized $250 tactical folder to part the delicate folds of that letter that your great aunt Bee mailed you. An Every Day Carry (EDC) knife is for everyday chores, or it could perhaps be to save yourself or another from a predicament where no other tool would substitute. I don't hold much confidence in the use of a folding knife for self defense; and it's not that I think that it's not possible, just that it's unlikely.

Besides, that's what handguns are for.

If you're the type of person who loves knives, then I invite you to check out Sharp, Bright, and Tactical WebMagazine. Outstanding is the word that first comes to mind as I read that site, and it has now made my list of daily reads.

Too bad I'm now focused on pouring money into reloading stuff, or I would start collecting knives again. Many of mine have been sharpened into stumps over the years, or taken away (for the safety of the world) by TSA while on my way to Iraq.

If you're on the hunt for a new folder, then check out fellow reader Knives Infinity's website. I have to refrain from smoking my debit card for a little longer, but when I'm going there to start.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

...quite by accident I stumbled blindly upon your post. Permission to come aboard.
You are a wonderful linguist, with attention to details that I find intriguing. I look forward to reading through your previous posts and those yet written. Semper Fi. Carry on.

Michael W. said...

Very, very cool website.

Just what I needed, something else to tempt me to spend money on. -grin-

Aaron said...

Hey thanks C! Glad to have found your blog. My buddy Eric is the resident firearm guy, he's been busy making plans with a certain young lady for the future, but he's still an avid shooter...meanwhile, I'm still spending every last bit of dough on bladeware, ourblog being a subconscious justification. Take care.
-Aaron